How Much Does A Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Bathrooms are a main room in your home, and it serves an essential purpose. Your bathroom should be an oasis for relaxing, not a mildew-laden dungeon. If you feel that your bathroom needs an update, you are in the majority with most homeowners. Getting a new bathroom is the second most popular remodeling project for a homeowner.
The cost of a bathroom remodel averages around $11,000 and can vary depending on the style and size of your bathroom. The minimum price of a bathroom remodel is about $5000 for a small standard bathroom. The upper end of a bathroom remodel cost can push upwards of $30,000+ for a master bathroom.
Do You Need A Permit To Remodel a Bathroom?
The second most common remodeling project behind kitchens remodeling a bathroom usually requires a permit. Permits are required if you make changes to plumbing, electrical, or structural in most areas. Its recommended to start by speaking with someone in your local Building Inspection office on what permits are needed. This way, you are prepared when selecting a bathroom remodeling contractor on what permits are required.
How Long Does a Bathroom Remodel Take?
It is dependent on who is going to be doing the bathroom remodel (DIY or Professional) and how extensive the remodel is. In most instances, you can plan for 3-6 weeks, and typically a month is an excellent estimate. If you are resurfacing, painting, and replacing fixtures, a bathroom remodeling project could be finished in about a week.
The size of the bathroom can also come into play when estimating how long the remodel will take. A larger main bathroom that gets fully gutted and remodeled can easily go six weeks or longer with a qualified contractor. Material availability can also add to the timeline of your bathroom remodel; if you are in a hurry, look for in-stock items instead of special orders.
Can I DIY My Own Bathroom Remodel?
You can do specific DIY projects in a bathroom to get an instant update. If you are handy and have a few tools, here are 5 DIY bathroom remodel projects most homeowners can handle.
5 Easy DIY Bathroom Remodel Projects:
- Re-paint your vanity – an easy project that most DIY’ers can finish in a weekend.
- Change the faucet – not as complicated as most think; a few tools and a couple of hours are all that is needed.
- Paint the walls – you can do this; take time to prep the walls and tarp and tape everything else.
- Change the toilet – one of the best projects to update your bathroom instantly. *Some counties require permits; check with your local code official.
- Refresh the grout – the least expensive on the list coming in under $20 for a bottle of grout cleaner. Instantly refresh your bathroom floor or wall by cleaning dirty, dull grout and turning it back to a brilliant white.
Why Should I Hire a Professional to Remodel My Bathroom?
Watching HGTV and the many awesome DIY projects they show, gets us pumped to tackle a bathroom remodel, but is it a good idea? For the handy, yes, take on that DIY bathroom. Still, it is not recommended to take on a remodeling project in the bathroom for the majority.
There are a lot of variables to take into account with a bathroom, like electrical and plumbing. Typically you will need multiple permits to remodel a bathroom. Getting your permits issued can be time-consuming and difficult. It’s better to hire an experienced contractor who has completed many bathroom remodels and is qualified to do it.
Benefits of hiring a bathroom remodeling contractor:
- Eases stress and anxiety – let the contractor worry about everything. You should be able to sit back, relax and let someone else do the heavy lifting.
- Can save you money – yes, I know what you are thinking, but hiring a professional can reduce the time and cost of remodeling a bathroom. Typically a professional works with a set budget and can complete it in a fraction of the time of a DIY remodel.
- Saves you time – this is especially important if you only have one bathroom in your home; you will want a professional to get in and out quickly.
- Protects your home – a properly licensed and insured contractor will have the experience to do the job right. If your house gets damaged during the remodel, their insurance covers you.
How Much Should I Spend Remodeling My Bathroom?
Remodeling a bathroom is like any other remodeling project; you have to determine what you want to spend before starting. According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, a bathroom should be between 5 to 10 percent of your home’s value. If you know your home’s value, there is a pretty straightforward way to decide your budget.
Other factors come into play when deciding on a budget, like what type of fixtures you will use. Do you want a tranquil luxury space to relax, or is it just a bathroom that needs an update? The professionals at NICS can help you determine the best type of bathroom you need and your budget.
How Do I Find A Bathroom Contractor Near Me?
If you are looking for a bathroom contractor, it is hard to know one contractor from another. Still, you can employ a few tactics to find the best bathroom contractor in your area.
Speak with friends and family for their recommendations and experiences with local bathroom remodeling contractors. The local plumbing supply store is another excellent place to get suggestions on a bathroom remodeler; they know who does a good job and who doesn’t.
If you are in the Charlotte, NC, area and are looking for a local bathroom remodeling contractor, NICS is your choice for top-quality craftsmanship and customer service. NCIS also has the experience to give you the dream bathroom you have always wanted in the greater Charlotte area.
Give us a call today to schedule your free consultation on your new bathroom remodeling project in Charlotte! 980-346-5321